The state of Tamil Nadu is situated in the south of India and is a place full of culture and history. For Tamil people, music is probably the most significant art form and holds a special place in their hearts. The music genre and Tamil artists are often extremely energetic and songs are composed to make people happy and uplift their spirits.
The Tamil filmmaking industry is located in the Kodambakkam neighborhood in Chennai city, earning the nickname Kollywood. Movies are also an important part of the Tamil entertainment industry and a lot of popular songs came from them. Since there are a lot of movies and songs released every month, here are some of the most listened to and viewed songs from Kollywood films.
1. Rowdy BabyThe song was composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja for the movie Maari 2. It is a disco track sung by Dhee and Dhanush who also wrote the lyrics. It was released as a single in November 2018 and as a YouTube music video in January 2019 and has since garnered over 663 million views. It was also the first Tamil song to surpass 100 million views on the platform in just 17 days. Check out Masstamilan if you would like to give the song a listen.
2. Why This Kolaveri DiThe song was featured on the soundtrack of 3, a 2012 psychological thriller film. It was composed by Anirudh Ravichander while being written and sung by Dhanush. It is one of the most-streamed songs of all time and it went viral on social media due to the lyrics which are a quirky mix of Tamil and English. The song was inspired by ancient South Indian folk rhythm and the words of the song are written in a simple form.
3. Aalaporan ThamizhanIt was made for the 2017 movie Mersal and is composed by the famous A.R. Rahman. The lyrics were written by Vivek while Kailash Ker, Sathyaprakash, Pooja AV, and Deepak sang the song. The musical number sings all about Tamil pride, has a lot of native instruments in it, and speaks about Tamil history, making this song a favorite among its people, even years after its release.
4. GulebaThe 2018 action comedy Gulaebaghavali featured this song on its soundtrack. The film’s entire music was written by the duo Vivek-Mervin which was their fourth film venture. The songs were released in December 2017 with Guleba being the title track.
5. Vaayadi Petha PullaThe song was a part of the music score for the sports drama Kanaa and was composed by Dhibu Ninan Thomas. It is sung by Sivakarthikeyan, his daughter, and Vaikom Vijayalakshm.
6. Chinna MachanThe song is featured in the 2019 comedy Charlie Chaplin 2. It was composed by Amresh Ganesh and sang by Senthil and Rajalakshmi. Upon its release in 2018, the song became an instant chart-topper.
7. Don’u Don’u Don’uThe soundtrack for the movie Maari was released in June 2015 and received a generally positive reception. The main song Don’u Don’u Don’u was composed by Anirudh Ravichander while the lyrics were written by Dhanush. It is sung as a duet between Anirudh and Alisha Thomas.
There is a reason the genre is loved not only in Tamil Nadu but all across India too. The songs bring happiness, energy, and they constantly offer motivation and inspiration. They provide an escape from reality, help you overcome difficulties, and the lyrics can empower you as well. If you decide to give some of these songs a listen, make sure to read lyric translations since they are often extremely meaningful. This might give you a new outlook on life but can also teach you something about the culture of Tamil people.