If you’re thinking about changing the furniture in your bedroom by purchasing new upholstery, you might be thinking that the most difficult thing to opt for is the color. However, this isn’t entirely true, especially since there are other, more important factors that you’ll have to carefully think about.
Because of this, you might be looking for some tips that’ll help you choose a fitting fabric for the furniture in your bedroom, and if you, the article below might shed some light on the entire topic. So, some of the tips and advice you should follow when searching for a suitable textile are the following.
1. Remember That The Budget You Have Matters
Before you can even start browsing for different options, you must establish a budget. Why? Well, fabrics aren’t cheap and by setting a budget, you’ll be able to know exactly what you can purchase. Hence, you should think about the amount you’re planning on spending on textiles that are functional, but more importantly, visually appealing and comfortable to use.
2. Consider How Durable The Material is
Depending on the furniture you have in your bedroom, as well as who will be using it, it’s important to consider the durability of the material you’re thinking about purchasing. Additionally, if you have pets that’ll sit or sleep on the furniture piece, you’ll want to ensure that you opt for something that’ll fit your needs.
For example, if you prefer woven material, it’ll be more durable than printed options, mostly because there are more threads and weaves. Choosing the material based on who’ll be using it is also important. Hence, if you’re pet will use the furniture as well, you should consider purchasing leather or microfiber because they’re durable.
3. The Style Needs to Be Just Right
Besides thinking about the durability of a particular fabric, you must also ensure that you pick one that’ll accommodate the style and decoration of your room. For instance, if your space is minimalistic, you could choose square patterns for the upholstery, but you could also opt to add a pop of color by choosing a vibrant and bold pattern for the textiles.
Keep in mind, all materials are different, meaning that some will be completely bold and casual, while some alternatives might look more traditional and formal. All of this means that you need to guarantee that you opt for something that’ll go well with the décor, other furniture pieces, and layout of the space you’re working on.
4. Carefully And Wisely Choose The Color
Although you might be tempted to pick the colors first, don’t. Instead, you should think about the overall look and feel of your bedroom and then consider the color that might suit it best. Hence, you’ll want to ensure that you opt for something that you could live with for a few years.
If you, for example, have a smaller room, you might want to avoid purchasing fabrics that are colorful and vibrant – which is especially true if you have a large furniture piece such as a sofa. In this situation, it might be best if you use neutral colors, mostly because they’re a safe choice. Keep in mind, if you have kids or pets, you might want to skip buying lighter options.
According to the experts from NFO, another important consideration is the color temperature. What does this mean? Well, it means that you need to learn that warm and cool hues impact our moods differently, so, you should ensure that you purchase something that’ll make you feel pleasant.
5. Think About The Features
Last on our list of tips, but definitely not less important is the fact that you must consider the features of the materials as well. For starters, think about the fade resistance, which is quite important if you’re planning on placing the furniture piece close to a window. Additionally, think about whether or not it’s resistant to mildew, which is an important factor if you live in a humid area.
Lastly, if you or anyone living with you has allergies, purchasing microfiber might be the best decision you make, mostly because it won’t attract dust or lint. If you have pets, you should avoid delicate materials such as silk, instead, you might want to opt for a pet-friendly textile instead.
So, What Options Can I Choose From?
Before we conclude this article, there are some things that are worth mentioning, mostly revolving around the textiles you can opt for. But, by going through the list below, you’ll be able to figure out what satisfies your needs best, especially since each of them offers different characteristics. Some of the options that you can choose from include:
- Cotton – one of the most popular choices is cotton, especially since it provides different features including resistance to wear and tear and fading. However, you should know that it’s less resistant to wrinkles and fires. The durability levels will depend on how and by whom it is used.
- Linen – if you use the furniture in your bedroom often, you might want to choose this option, mostly because it wrinkles easily. But, you should know that it isn’t resistant to wear and tear, and it’ll fade easily and quickly if placed near a window or glass door. Additionally, you’ll have to get it professionally cleaned which comes with a nice price tag.
- Leather – if you have children and pets, leather is your safest choice. Why? Well, it’s extremely durable, it can be cleaned by a soaked rag and with a vacuum, and you’ll only need to purchase some products that are made for leather in order to clean it properly.
- Vinyl – you might be searching for something that is easy to maintain, yet a material that is cheaper than leather. If so, you should definitely choose vinyl. In fact, it’s the most fitting material for furniture pieces that are used frequently by all of your family members.
- Microfiber – last on our list is a material made from polyester, microfiber is one of the best alternatives for people that have allergies. Besides being hypoallergenic, it’s also extremely durable, and more importantly, resistant to stains, water, and fading, making it perfect for your kids’ bedrooms.
Purchasing new upholstery is a big investment, which is why you must ensure that you make the right decision. And, if you opt for following some or all of the tips we mentioned in the article above, you’ll be capable of making the entire process simpler and less daunting for yourself.
So, now that you’ve learned what factors you need to consider, as well as what some of your options are, you really shouldn’t waste any more of your time. Instead, determine which fabric might be suitable for you, and then start browsing different stores in order to find the upholstery that suits your needs.