Erectile dysfunction (ED) can lead to various other problems such as stress, performance anxiety, and low-esteem. This results in almost a vicious loop of misery in personal life. Hence, this condition of being unable to sustain the erection of the penis does have quite major mental effects also.
ED is not rare but rather a common problem that men belonging to any group can face. It is more commonly seen in men approaching old age. During this time, their testosterone level goes down along with slowing down of blood circulation, etc.
There are various physical and psychological causes of ED. Through this blog, you will get to know about the causes in detail and also the different ways of treating the erectile issue.
So, here are all the possible causes of ED that you should be aware of:
Problems with the circulation of blood- Erections in men result from the blood filling the chambers of the penis. Therefore, it is obvious that any problems with the blood flow or circulation can cause impaired blood flow to the penis and thus, difficulty in achieving or maintaining erections. Thus, any cardiovascular ailments can act as a major cause of erectile dysfunction in men.
- High blood sugar levels- Diabetes is another major cause of erection problems in men. This is because uncontrolled blood sugar levels for a prolonged period lead to plaque build-up in the arteries. This, in turn, makes the arteries narrower and obstructs proper blood flow throughout the body. Lack of blood supply to the penis makes it difficult for the man to achieve proper erections and thus penile issues arise.
- High cholesterol levels- Just like diabetes, high levels of cholesterol in the body can also lead to the narrowing of the arteries. This happens because of the build-up of a sticky substance called atheroma and the condition is called atherosclerosis. Narrowed arteries mean impaired blood circulation and therefore erectile problems.
- Being obese- Being overweight is another major and quite a common cause for ED. Obesity can have adverse effects on vascular functioning and also on the testosterone levels in the body. Both these conditions can lead to problems in maintaining erections.
- Hormonal imbalances- Hormones play a major role in sexual functioning. Imbalances in the levels of these hormones can lead to problematic erectile dysfunction. Majorly, low testosterone levels, high prolactin levels, and abnormal thyroid hormone levels are associated with erectile problems in men.
- Certain serious health conditions- Certain other health conditions like Parkinson’s disease (brain disorder), kidney problems, multiple sclerosis (immunity disorder), and Peyronie’s disease (penile curvature problem) also act as risk factors for ED. If you have any of these conditions, you are more prone to erectile dysfunction and thus you need to be extra cautious. Also, these conditions need proper long term treatment for managing the symptoms and their ill effects.
- Excessive alcohol consumption- Regular and excessive consumption of alcohol is another major cause of erectile and sexual dysfunction. Alcohol usually acts as a depressant. Excessive intake of alcohol can lead to loss of sexual desire and thus make the process of erections difficult. It also has other severe effects on your minds in the long run. Hence limiting the consumption is highly necessary for overall good health.
- Smoking- Smoking is one of the most common causes of erectile dysfunction and numerous other cardiovascular issues. In fact, smokers are at a 2-times increased risk of erectile problems as compared to non-smokers. This is because cigarettes contain hundreds of toxic chemicals that can damage the vascular system. This leads to a decreased blood supply and causes erectile problems.
- Stress and Anxiety- The causes of erectile dysfunction are not just physical, they can be psychological too. Stress, anxiety, and depression can also lead to erectile dysfunction. These can interfere with the signals that the brain sends to the penis and thus result in improper erections.
If you identify yourself with even some of these causes of ED, you must bring in healthier changes from today itself. Not just medical treatment, a healthy and active lifestyle also holds a crucial value in getting rid of erection problems.
Lifestyle Changes to improve the erection
Exercising can bring about amazing improvements in the condition of erectile dysfunction. Maintain an active lifestyle, do a little yoga, and exercise to improve the blood circulation throughout the body. You can also try pelvic floor exercises or Kegel exercises for better results.
Make sure that your diet is healthy and nutritious. Avoid eating too much junk, processed, and greasy foods. Ensure that you intake proper amounts of fibers and antioxidants.
If you are diabetic, try to keep an eye on your blood sugar levels. Talk to your doctor about the condition and adopt proper measures to control your diabetes.
If you are a smoker, quit this unhealthy habit as soon as possible. Do not quit smoking all at once. Rather, gradually decrease the number of cigarettes you smoke in a day and then give it up.
If you feel that any of your prescription medicines are triggering sexual dysfunction, talk to your doctor and get them replaced with alternative salts.
Do not let your stress and anxiety pile up. Take out a little ‘me time’ every day and participate in activities that make you feel relaxed. Talk to people, open up about what you are feeling, and try to manage your stress levels.
Medical Treatments For ED
- Medications- Medications like Sildenafil (Viagra), Tadalafil (Cialis), Vardenafil (Levitra), and Avanafil (Stendra) are usually prescribed to men struggling with erectile problems. These medications amplify the effect of nitric oxide in the body and relax the penile muscles to allow proper blood flow into the penis. They require just a little stimulation, and then the erection happens automatically. Although these medicines are quite useful, they may not be safe for prolonged use and can lead to some side-effects.
- Therapy- Talk therapy and counseling sessions can be quite beneficial in cases where the major cause of ED is a psychological one. In such cases, talking to a therapist can help you evaluate the root cause of your stress or anxiety. You can then work on those specific areas and once they improve, the erectile issues will resolve on their own.
- Additionally, you can also ask your partner to accompany you during these therapy sessions. This will bridge the communication gap between you and your partner and will help you overcome your anxiety faster and foster a stronger emotional bond.
- Penile Implants- When no other treatment options work, doctors may suggest penile implants. A penile implant is a surgical treatment for ED. In this surgery, the doctor places inflatable or bendable devices on both sides of the penis.
If you have an inflatable device placed on the sides of the penis, you can control the time period of the erection. On the other hand, bendable devices keep the penis firm yet bendable.
Penile implants are usually very successful, but just like every other surgery, they have their own set of pros and cons. Therefore, it is better to consider non-surgical treatment options before going for penile implant surgery.
ED is just as much of a medical issue as to any other ailment. Therefore, instead of being embarrassed and keeping the issue to yourself, you should get in touch with a specialist doctor and get it treated as soon as possible.
If you are dealing with any erectile problems and are looking for a reliable healthcare provider for the same, you can contact Pristyn Care. They are associated with the best doctors and hospitals throughout the country. The consultations are absolutely confidential and the success rate of the treatment is quite high.
Hopefully, you must have gathered effective information regarding the causes, lifestyle and dietary changes, and treatment options for ED. Although problems like erectile dysfunction are not talked about as openly as other problems, you must remember that these are very common and require medical attention too. Therefore, do not feel embarrassed, consult a specialist, discuss your problem freely, and undergo proper treatment for erectile dysfunction in time to lead a happy and healthy life.