WENLOCK AND MANDEVILLE
The Company – Um…the Olympics?
If you aren’t sure what the Olympics are please refer to our McDonalds “sleeping under a rock” statement from earlier.
Their “WTF” Mascot
Wenlock and Mandeville are the official mascots for the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics being held in London. The mascots were revealed recently, marking the second occasion that both Olympic and Paralympic mascots were unveiled at the same time. A big deal if you remotely care about any of that.
Now for the pressing issue: what the hell are these freaks of nature? Well contrary to popular opinion they are not rejected Pixar characters. The peculiar pair is based on a short story by children's author Michael Morpurgo. In the story it is revealed that the mascots were created from “droplets of steel used to build the Olympic stadium.” Don’t believe us? Maybe you’ll believe this really bizarre origin commercial…
Despite their detailed back-story, Wenlock and Mandeville continue to elicit mostly puzzled reactions as to their existence. Each mascot has a T-1000 metallic finish, a cyclops eye and an astonishing aura of confusion. Interestingly enough, among the designs rejected during the pitching process were anthropomorphic pigeons, an animated tea pot and a Big Ben with arms and legs. We’re left to wonder exactly what drugs were being used during the design phase.
The Company – Six Flags
Six Flags is the world's largest amusement park company. The company maintains twenty-one properties throughout the US, including theme parks, thrill parks, water parks and family entertainment centers. Chances are you or someone you know has vomited in one or more of their locations.
Their “WTF” Mascot
How do you sell families on an awesome trip to an amusement park? Common sense dictates that you barely need to sell such a notion at all, much less need some cheesy mascot. Then again it certainly doesn’t hurt to advertise. Maybe something like: “There’s an amusement park near you. Here’s the directions. The End.” And so we find it odd that the best the Six Flags advertising team could come up with was a bald, wrinkly faced, tuxedo wearing bespectacled lunatic… that’s so old the lawyers would ban him from the park.
Mr. Six is a disturbingly athletic abomination who first appeared in 2004 dancing franticly and mindlessly shilling for Six Flags. His initial gimmick was kidnapping… we mean inviting folks to the park by pulling up in a bus while rocking out to the song "We Like to Party".
In 2005, Daniel Snyder (aka Mr. Six’ arch nemesis), took over Six Flags and abruptly announced the retirement of Mr. Six who he stated was pointless. The next ad campaign was to be called "Friendly, Clean, Fast, Safe, Service." A collective yawn was heard around the world. Sure Mr. Six’ existence may have been creepy, baffling, and (worst of all) kept the world from forgetting the “Venga Boys” forever but at least he snagged your attention.
To Mr. Snyder’s disdain, Mr. Six prevailed. The freaky old timer was still plastered all over Six Flags theme parks and merchandise until his official revival in 2009. Mr. Six eventually began appearing in place of a previously unnamed (and quickly forgotten) Asian mascot character in the "More Flags, More Fun" ads.
Mr. Six currently appears in a number of new tv commercials where he speaks (grab your crosses) and apparently has obtained his very own Mini-Me known as “Little Six”.
You can keep up with Kevin Mack's horrible dietary choices (and more interesting stuff) be following him on Twitter.
- - CARFAX FOX: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2578/carfax1.jpg http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8938/carfaxfoxjoke.jpg
- - BIRDIE THE EARLY BIRD: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1320/birdiea.jpg http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9600/birdiewtfff.jpg http://www.treehugger.com/chickens-in-cages.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3fSPdLyXVG4/S0TegNsvLHI/AAAAAAAABuI/dXz9dySe_Xg/s400/mcnuggets_large.jpg
- - SPONGEMONKEYS: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f3j82iU3oYc/RxwtzDISRUI/AAAAAAAAADI/Jwq9-sj9MpE/s320/QuiznosMonkey3.jpg http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4108/ughhv.jpg http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/07-11/dude11_bajachicken_400.jpg
- - WENLOCK AND MANDEVILLE: http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6279/wtffffffff.jpg
- - MR. SIX: http://www.poststar.com/app/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mrsix1.jpg http://todaysseniorsnetwork.com/junior%20soprano.jpg http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8783/littlesix.jpg