The Fantastic Four
The Fantastic Four are one of the most relevant superteams in comics history. Introduced in 1961, they introduced flawed characters to comics, in the form of a scientist who happens to be the most arrogant douchebag to ever qualify as a superhero, his doormat wife, her jerkface brother, and nice Jewish boy Ben Grimm, who, for all his effort to keep them out of trouble, gets turned into a massive dude covered in orange rocks. They've been popular for their entire run.
So why not, around, say, issue #347, get rid of them completely and create a new Fantastic Four consisting of Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, and the Hulk? That's a brilliant idea! In no way does that actually sound like a superteam called “the Defenders” being shoehorned into a book they have no place in! And those four heroes are among Marvel's best-selling at the time? The coincidence is shocking!
Thankfully, this was only temporary: this Fantastic Four existed to find the Fantastic Four in the funny blue suits. But the mockery of Marvel for this flagrant attempt to boost the book's sales continues to this day.
You just do not get more iconic than Superman when it comes to superheroes. He was the first, the best, and arguably the greatest. So what does DC do in... what, seriously? The '90s again? What, was the entire comics industry stoned or something?
Anyway, DC killed Superman. And then they were faced with a problem, in that they'd just offed their most iconic character. What to do? Why, bring back four of them!
So we got a teenage Superman to appeal to the kids, a black Superman in armor who used a rivet gun and a sledgehammer to kick some serious Luthor, a Superman cyborg who might as well have had “I AM EVIL” tattooed on his forehead, and a Superman who had energy blasts and basically acted like a constipated Batman without the sense of humor or respect for human life.
Finally, they brought back the real Superman, albeit with a mullet, and DC never did anything stupid with their most relevant character ever ag-
Oh, goddamn it, how could it get any-
We're just going to go into this corner and drink ourselves stupid now.
- - Doctor Fate: http://semantink.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DrFate-FINAL.jpg
- - Green Lantern: http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/05/hal-jordan-green-lantern.jpg
- - Spider-Man: http://www.spiderman-games-online.info/index_files/spiderman1.jpg
- - The Fantastic Four: http://www.dreamscapecomics.com/whatif.jpg
- - Superman: http://writeontheinternet.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/superman.jpg http://www.intuitivewebdesigns.com/comics/graphics/superman/NewSuperman.jpg http://forevergeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/srsb3.jpg