Ophthalmophobia – Fear of opening one’s eyes
Now how does one discover that they have a fear of opening their eyes? I suppose after seeing a traumatic event you might be afraid of opening your eyes and seeing more horrible things, but even then I am not sure how that would work. But then again I suppose it would be just like going through life blind, though really I’d be more afraid of not being able to see what is going on, rather than being able to see it. In any case this is one phobia that you really do not see every day.
Arachibutyrophobia – Fear of Peanut Butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
Now I admit that having peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth is not the most pleasant thing in the world but I cannot imagine being all that afraid of it. If you put peanut butter in your mouth chances are you like it, so all you have to do is lick it off. Even if you don’t all you would have to do is chug some water or wait for the peanut butter to dissolve on its own. I think sometimes fear is confused with dislike in some of these phobias.
Mnemophobia – Fear of Memories
Here is another one that seems really odd and hard to confront. Have any of us ever gone through a day without remembering something? An hour? I could understand being afraid of specific memories but being afraid of all memories seems a little hard. Is it even possible to stop remembering things? I would really start to question my health and sanity if I was ever able to completely stop remembering things.
Aerophobia – Fear of Swallowing Air
Why is this a specific phobia? After all whether you are breathing through your nose or “swallowing air” it all goes the same direction and to the same place? What would have to happen in order for this distinction to be necessary? Though at least this seems like an easier fear to live with than some of the others, but it would probably be really hard to explain to someone.
Zemmiphobia – Fear of the Great Mole Rat
This is one that makes me feel like there was a movie or something that everyone saw that I missed in order for this to be a fear that people need to label. Apparently there are people who fear that a giant mole rat is tapping their phones and tracking them in order to kill them. I could understand one or two people with a vivid imagination but does a fear like this really occur often enough for it to need a label. But to be fair…if there was giant mole rat who was smart enough to tap phones and wanted to kill people, I’d be scared of him too.
This is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of phobias that are a bit out of the norm, while they may be funny and interesting to read about, they are anything but for the people who have to live with them. While we may not understand them we can understand how crippling fear can be and these fears…no matter how strange should be respected. Hopefully there is someone out there who can treat these strange disorders.
- - Consecotaleophobia-Fear of chopsticks: http://api.ning.com/files/Hmv6HtuE29h86xnsvajlagjtOrrNCInqWot2GMatE9yqlZSPXCG8dcgGoHDDb4VW1TkdH*3lHcmds1*yfTnv8q-EPXbRUAyz/chopsticks.jpg
- - Chrematophobia – Fear of Money: http://www.nicolewilliams.com/nw-images/subcat_imgs/TalkingAboutMoney.jpg
- - Linonophobia – Fear of String: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2766/4131925706_7980333c58.jpg
- - Sophophobia – Fear of Learning: http://www.fearofstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/learning-2-150x150.jpg
- - Namatophobia – Fear of Names: http://john.ellingsworth.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/ellingsworth_names_1860_census.jpg
- - Ophthalmophobia – Fear of opening one’s eyes: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_khqAOpZqHEI/SoCwByjBkFI/AAAAAAAACmQ/tjKV9roAv5A/closed_eyes%5B6%5D.jpg
- - Arachibutyrophobia – Fear of Peanut Butter sticking to the roof of the mouth: http://salahsambung.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/a289_butter.jpg
- - Mnemophobia – Fear of Memories: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3553/3469755081_41b075616d.jpg
- - Aerophobia – Fear of Swallowing Air: http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/phobias_slideshow/getty_rm_photo_of_man_with_emetophobia.jpg
- - Zemmiphobia – Fear of the Great Mole Rat: http://ravasz.net/wordpress/wp-content/molerat.jpg